The stress related to hearing loss might lead you to avoid social situations and family gatherings because it is difficult to communicate with others. That’s why wearing a hearing aid helps improve social, emotional, and psychological health while restoring relationships.
Your hearing aids are an important part of continuing to do the things you love in your community, so knowing when your hearing aids are still providing the benefits you need or coming to us for an upgrade is an important part of maintaining an active social life.
How Long Do Hearing Aids Last?
Generally speaking, hearing aids can last between three and five years, depending on the hearing aid style and a variety of other factors. In-the-ear (ITE) instruments function well for between four and five years, while behind-the-ear (BTE) devices tend to have a five to six-year service life.
Factors like care and maintenance, exposure to moisture and high temperatures, and the build quality of the device can increase or decrease the effective life cycle of your unit as well.
Reasons It Might Be Time to Upgrade Your Hearing Aids
In addition to the designed functionality and performance of your hearing instrument, there are several reasons to consider upgrading your hearing aids.
To get the most benefit possible from your hearing aids, you should take advantage of an upgrade in situations like:
- An Expired Warranty – The cost of repair and replacement, should your device become damaged or misplaced, is an added expense that most hearing aid wearers can’t or don’t want to cover.
- Extensive Repair History – Proper maintenance and care are necessary. Still, if your device has been in the shop a lot, it is best to replace it before repair costs become a major financial drain, especially if the unit is still in warranty.
- Availability of New Technology – Hearing aid technology changes rapidly, making devices that are more than five years old obsolete.
- Your Hearing Needs Have Changed – As you age or as your health concerns change, your hearing care needs also change; getting the most benefit from your device may require an upgrade.
- Changes to Your Occupation or Lifestyle – Some devices are better suited for a more or less active lifestyle or occupation; when these circumstances change, greater benefits might come from an upgrade to a different style of a device.
We’re Here to Help You Continue Your Journey to Better Hearing
Maintaining your relationships and enjoying an active and independent social life are among the most important benefits provided by your hearing aids.
When they perform as designed with the proper programming to meet your needs, they provide a broad range of advantages. Getting the most from wearing hearing aids may require an upgrade.
Fortunately, Cornerstone Audiology has the experience and expertise to know when your hearing aids are meeting your needs, or it’s time to make a change to an instrument that improves your hearing care.
If you or a loved one is ready to upgrade their devices or want advice on your options, contact the friendly team at our Lubbock or Snyder clinic to find out how we can help support you in your next steps to better hearing.